Thursday, July 29, 2010

Thursday Thirteen ~ Plastic

Plastic can be a controversial subject, but I personally don’t want to live without it. Whether they’re lighter, cheaper, more durable, more effective, or just plain inconceivable without the diverse polymeric materials in the world, here are thirteen things reliant upon plastic:


1. Pens – How many of these have I used in my lifetime? I just wish they were all refillable.

2. Feminine hygiene products – I can’t imagine what life would be like.

3. Flooring – Laminate flooring is what I want to replace my home’s old, nasty carpeting.

4. Toothbrushes – While fine for hairbrushes in my book, these bristles used to be made out of boar’s hair! No, thanks.

5. Sports equipment – Not a fan nor a player, I do appreciate the safety afforded to some might fine hardbodies.

6. Cars – I think my sedan is made from far more plastic than metal.

7. Window panes – The window replacements we have are a dream, they never warp or stick.

8. Refrigerators – Appliance surfaces are so easy to clean, I really appreciate that.

9. Condiments – I can’t imagine not being able to squeeze out my mustard.

10. Compact disks – Gotta have my music!

11. Litter boxes – What did cat slaves do before this?

12. Electrical wiring – Ever strip a wire to do a little electrical work? What was used for insulation before plastic?

13. Paint – While not technically plastic, the polymers in latex and polyurethane paints make them what they are.

9 comments:

  1. Great list, Darla. I don't know where we'd be without plastic. :) Happy Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list of stuff!

    *hugs*
    Paige

    My TT is at http://paigetylertheauthor.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first thing to come to my mind is hospital supplies. From the needles to IV tubes to surgical equipment, so much of it is dependent on plastic that it's scary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess I hadn't really thought about the many ways we use plastic. Interesting to note!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the great comments! Alice, I'm happy to say hospital supplies never occured to me because there are none in my home. You make a wonderful point! I had blood drawn for a routine test recently and they used a plastic IV tube for babies since my veins are so small. I was sure grateful for plastic that day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an interesting list. I do love plastic for it's practical points, but though I have bought many, many, plastic toys for my boys over the years, I still like wooden toys for children :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are definitely many great products made from plastics. Like Alice, the first thing that came to my mind were medical supplies, but sports helmets are certainly way up there on the list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I was growing up we still had glass for shampoo and conditioner--careful slippery. And our condiments were also in glass, pass the mustard and mayo, honey, carefully.

    Tooth paste was in a lead tube. Yes, real lead.

    I also played on asbestos floor tiles growing up.

    But we also played outside for hours and didn't know about Nintendo, the internet or cell phones.

    Yup, those where the days.

    Happy TT.
    Janice~

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hm. Plastic is, without a doubt, useful. I don't mind using it judiciously, but I definitely wish more could be recycled.

    ReplyDelete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!