Thursday, November 4, 2010

Thursday Thirteen - Dad's Woodworking

Thirteen of my dad’s amazing woodworking projects:

1. Lighted glass curio cabinets

2. Cat climbing trees – three popular roosts standing almost to my seven foot ceiling; these were made without written plans when I sadly turned down one of the aforementioned open-shelved units due to the three felines enjoying these carpeted monstrosities

3. A coffee table that looks like a Quaker antique

4. An ornate DVD cabinet, overflowing the moment I received it but still beautiful

5. Several miniature end tables that also serve as magazine racks and remote control holders; it’s perfect for my slightly narrow living room

6. Six cedar chests, uniquely crafted for high school graduation gifts

7. A vintage ice box designed for use as a TV stand

8. One coat rack, specifically for a crowded apartment with no entryway closet

9. Halloween decorations – witches who smacked face-first into something while riding their broomstick; Mom did an awesome paint job and it looks great in my chestnut tree

10. A heated birdbath – the wooden box has a hole in the top to hold the dish above a light bulb providing warmth

11. His rolltop computer desk, complete with slide-out keyboard shelf

12. A giant dollhouse, made before he had a fraction of the tools in their cellar today; his little girl wanted one we couldn’t afford and mine turned out even better, with real glass windows, lots spacious rooms, and a hinged, foldable roof! Many pleasant hours were whiled away playing with that lucky doll family

13. Not one, but five grandfather clocks for loved ones, the final created with lighted side shelves for my mom’s collectibles

10 comments:

  1. I would love to see pictures of those sometime. :) My husband is into woodworking too, and our house is full of his creations. My favorite is the china cabinet he made for my birthday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely tribute to your dad's hard work. Like Stephanie, I think you should post photos of some of these sometime so we can all admire the end results. :)

    Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's another vote for photos! Your descriptions are usually enough, but I want more this time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great TT! Yes, photos please!

    *hugs*
    Paige

    http://paigetylertheauthor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll chime in with another vote for photos. My husband worked with his father for years in the family cabinet shop and I got me lots of goodies from their endeavors in 'trying something new'. Those memories are invaluable now that my FIL is gone so we will treasure them forever.

    Happy T13!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL! Did you intend the typo in the title? I thought for sure your dad would turn out to be a wordsmith. Writing can run in families.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for all the great comments! I'll have to work on getting photographs. And no, Alice, "wordworking" was not intentional. Too funny. As far as I know, I'm the only one in the family with a pentient for wordsmithing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh! How awesome!!! I wish I had some of the stuff my dad made in his woodworking phase, but he was never happy with it and he got rid of it.
    Sounds like your dad is talented.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow so many amazing things...What a great T13...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your father sounds very talented. I like things made out of wood.

    ReplyDelete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!