Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Icing Down for the Win



A while back I suffered a painless twitch in my right middle finger. I joked on Facebook that while the minor condition made for some amusing typos at least it wasn’t flipping off random strangers.

As a result I got some friendly hints such as adjusting my keyboard placement (further away) and obtaining an ergonomic one (I’m happy to say my Bluetooth keyboard is). Another kind acquaintance suggested a tip I decided to share here.

She recommended dunking each hand and wrist into ice water for twenty seconds once a day. Afterward, let them rest while the temperature returns to normal. I decided to try it.

So far I’ve only done so twice. But there has been no wrist pain or finger twitching in a good while, so I hope this will help maintain that. The advice may be harder to follow come winter since I have a minor case of Reynaud’s Syndrome, a circulation disorder, but that’s a long way off. I just wish this could help those I know in chronic pain.

What about you? Do you have a tip for those many of us writers, bloggers, and office workers who spend too much time on computers?

-

12 comments:

  1. I too have a touch of Raynauds Disease. It is one for those sister type things that go with Fibro. Never would have thought that doing cold water would help for your issue. Strange. I personally do a lot of HOT showers for my all over body pain. Seems to help, so does epsom salt baths with a touch of vinegar. Problem with that, I am not much of a soaker!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless your heart. If I were you I might never get out of a bath if it helps! I think a quick cold soak is to help keep down the swelling in my wrist tendons and whatnot.

      Delete
  2. Interesting tip. The only twitches I get are in my eye. I doubt this would work for that ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I've gotten those many times. NO fun. Be well!

      Delete
  3. That is a great idea, I am glad it helped.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's hard if you're at your desk all day. When my wife worked in an office, she had to get an ergonomic chair for her back. But it took a long time to get it. Hope the ice water helps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I wish you and yours all the best, my dear.

      Delete
  5. No problems so far, but I'll remember your tips if and when the twitching begins! *!*# - whoops, there it goes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the giggle! I'm not sure if icing specifically helps twitching but I figure keeping wrist swelling down is a good idea. Be well!

      Delete
  6. Wow...that is interesting. I too have a small case of Reynaud’s Syndrome, apparently that is another thing that goes hand in hand with fibro. Mine thank goodness is not that bad. As for wrist and fingers...when my right wrist (probably hurt at some point) starts to have a hit of pain in it I use a hand and wrist support but only at night. Couple of nights and all seems to be better. Whoever thought that we would suffer this sort of stuff when computers came out? Not one thing...it will be another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You suffer from so much worse than I do. ~hugs~ I hope you are well, my dear.

      Delete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!